MousEffects had a Marketing Management System (known as an "MMS") that allowed their customers the ability to keep track of prospects, learn about marketing, order supplies and even monitor the progress of their email marketing campaigns. A "campaign" in this case is basically a mailing list comprised of subscribers (called "leads"), or people who are interested in a particular product or service. These leads would receive a progressive series of emails called "follow-ups" every once in a while. This process would help build interest in whatever product/service our customer's were trying to sell.A Brief History
The Email Marketing System was originally custom-built by someone else but it just wasn't working properly, since it was bulky, slow, inconsistent and full of bugs. I was eventually called upon to "fix it.". Unfortunately, this called for a nearly complete overhaul of the system and essentially had to be rebuilt from the ground-up, leaving few remnants of the old system in place. The final product resulted in a highly optimized system that was able to send out emails 29 times faster
than before (see below
); also, the front-end was cleaned up and simplified while still showing more information than previously before and in a smaller area (reducing page loads).Upgrades
Some of the features that were added or enhanced were:
- Front-End: (Layout, Navigation and etc)
- The consolidation of aggregate statistics displayed on one page using a table layout which included overall totals and totals for each email follow-up that was sent out. Statistics that are displayed include: total subscribers, emails sent, emails opened, links clicked on and unsubscribers.
- Added a "View Graph" button that changed the visual graph representation of statistics and didn't load a new page. This included consolidating the display of graphs into one script so that a new one didn't have to be built for each new email follow-up.
- The addition of a drop-down list box at the top right corner of the page that allowed for easy navigation between viewing various campaigns.
- Many other bugs in navigation were finally fixed, including navigation on "drill-down" pages that displayed details on amount of emails opened and links clicked from within emails.
- Back-End: (Programming Behind The Scenes)
- Speed of sending emails was increased from less than 2.3 emails/second to almost 67 emails/second. This was the greatest improvement overall, because now a mailing list of 100 thousand emails, for example, could be sent out in a matter of minutes instead of half of a day. View Statistics
- The flexibility to have an unlimited amount of campaigns with any number of follow-ups in each campaign.
- Also added was the recording of detailed performance statistics, so that when the boss asked, "What happened yesterday?" I would be more prepared with an answer.
Please note that I didn't create the web design in the screenshots to your left, as I was responsible for the programming behind the scenes.